Dear Reader – Allow me to ask you a question so I can learn from your perspective. Thanks! First, let me tell you what initiated the question.
According to Eckhart Tolle’s “A New Earth – Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose” –
- the ego “Justifys, attacks, blames, defends its position…“
- “the ego will play a role to get what it needs- “material gain, a sense of power, superiority or specialness, or some kind of gratification be it physical or psychological.”
- “there is nothing that strengthens the ego more than being right.”
- “Awareness and ego cannot co-exist”
- “the truth, in any case, needs no defense. The light or sound does not care about what you or anybody else thinks.You are defending yourself…”
I would say I agree with those ideas, how ’bout you? Now, look at Social media. Yes, even including MY own blog, as well as everyone’s Facebook, Twitter, etc….
So, when is clucking like a chicken warranted? You have learned, or created something (like a chicken that clucks when it lays an egg) and you want to share it. You build a platform so you can get YOUR learned message out there. Some people will learn from it. Most will only hear more clucking.
My Question – Is building a platform for any message just an EGO building exercise as a person shouts what they think is right?
I’ve learned a lot from others. I’m glad they shouted, wrote a book, gave a lecture, created a blog, a bible, a mandate, philosophy, or dharma . Their platform’s message helped me live a fuller life. How can that be just a negative Ego practice of communicating what They Believe is right?
- Like a state fair, every chicken has something to offer that is different from the other chickens. What’s wrong with letting the differences show, or being presented? Like my website or yours? Is that only Ego gratification?
- Oprah built a platform. Eckhart built one too. They both have books and shows and even talk about each other. Millions have lived richer lives because of both.
Yet, what kind of platform does the (ego-less) light, or sound or flower need?