Summer’s the best, isn’t it? Fun events, great BBQ with friends, and hot weather. Of course you have to deal with “sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia”, but I’m getting ahead of myself.
Hot Diggety – I just heard the ice-cream man! Looking out my window I see kids gathering at the corner, just barely able to contain their “almost at my block-Christmas in July” excitement. Who can blame them? Ice-cream, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.
I didn’t want to hang out with the kids and wait for the ice cream man. They’d just laugh at my shorts and knobby knees, (and hair, and age, and phone, and socks, and lack of style and…), so I just drove myself to go get my ice cold shake! (HA, take that you little varmints – I CAN DRIVE, and I didn’t even have to beg $ from my Mom! neener neener!)
So, I went and got my Super Freezy Ice-Cream Shake, and started sucking on that straw like it was the last Oxygen hook up on earth! That sweet sugar teased my tongue, and the cold hit my throat and I just had to get it all inside me NOW!
It was not a pretty picture. I was just getting my fix, oh yeah….
BAMMM! Instantly, my hand shoots to my forehead as someone must have just stabbed my brain with a couple of rusty steak knives! “BRAIN FREEZE!”, my wife just laughs at me.
Nothing funny about it from where I was standing! The dreaded “sphenopalatine ganglioneuralgia” had struck. If I had only drank it slower, the blood vessels in the roof of my mouth would not have gotten so damn excited and caused such a pain.
I’ve had Brain Freezes for as long as I can remember. How ’bout you?
It only took me about 40 years to figure out what they really are- Mother Nature telling me to “Slow down Meathead, and enjoy what you bring into your life.”
- You wanted it, you got it. Slow Down and Enjoy it. Really, just stop – and appreciate every detail about it.
- (re-read that – it’s extremely important, and it requires a new habit.)
- Stop rushing for the ice-cream to be done, before you’re content and happy.
- Give yourself credit for what you have brought into your own experience.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY!! – Don’t wait for the ice-cream to show up to “feel happy”. Enjoy all of your great emotions ahead of it, like the Inspiration, the Excitement, the Wanting, the Planning, and the Knowing that you would soon have it! You spend a lot more of your time in life in these emotions, so recognize them and appreciate them! You’ll be that much happier in your life.
Another hot day today, I know what I’ll be enjoying later and I’m already happy about it. Recognize, then savor ALL those great emotions in you life. The process of Life is good.
(P.S. Thanks for the money for the ice-cream, honey – I’ll pay you back.)